Looking back on 2016 its been a massive year in movies and we at accessreel.com have supported some pretty great titles this year including Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, The Magnificent Seven, Suicide Squad, Independence Day: Resurgence, X-Men: Apocalypse, Eddie the Eagle, Kung Fu Panda and Deadpool, BUT it’s time that I look back at the year and pick my top 10 and its been a pretty hard decision. Let’s kick it off at 10. 10. Swiss Army Man – Eventhough this film is incredibly random Daniel Radcliffe and Paul Dano show that friendship is truly powerful in no matter what form it comes in and the amount of times I smiled watching this movie just proves how joyous it is.
9. The Revenant – Not many film makers our there could pull off what Alejandro González Iñárritu did with The Revenant, Leonardo DiCaprio smashed out an incredible performance alongside Tom Hardy and if you read what happened behind the scenes and the lengths Iñárritu went too to get the shot it’s true masterpiece of cinema.
8. Room – I always knew Brie Larson had some insane talent and this movie shows it, her co-star Jacob Tremblay was equally brilliant aswell.
7. Deadpool – We hosted this movie for an accessreel.com screening and it was by far the best response we got to any of them all year, can’t wait to see a sequel. Let’s hope it holds up.
6. La La Land – I think all film lovers like myself love films that have anything to do with cinema and this one does in spades, its all magical with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone infront of the camera and its not very often you see films like this. (out Boxing Day)
5. Spotlight – I always love a true story and the performances given by the entire cast is on point, it’s a pretty hard watch in parts but overall a story everyone should know.
4. Arrival – Another accesreel.com hosted screening this year that totally melted our brains but after the insane amount of discussion after the film I personally went away feeling happy and fulfilled. I won’t say anymore, just make sure you see it.
3. Rogue One – A Star Wars Story – Wow, all I have to say as a Star Wars fan this movie made me very happy, even with the events of the film and the ending you still walk out with a smile on your face.
2. Hacksaw Ridge – Once again accessreel.com knows how to choose great films to get behind and Hacksaw Ridge just proves that real superheroes don’t wear capes, this true story of Desmond Doss made this grown man cry a few times throughout and having Mel Gibson back behind the camera just made it just that little bit better. Wow… what a film. (click here to listen to our interview with Teresa Palmer)
1. Hunt for the Wilderpeople – Yup, this little movie from New Zealand has topped my list of 2016. I saw it four times at the cinema and Taika Waititi continues his winning streak with fantastic films. (Click here to listen to our interview with Taika)
Honorable mentions – The Jungle Book, Snowden, Neon Demon, Deepwater Horizon, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benhazi, Captain America: Civil War, The Hateful Eight and Sing Street.
We look forward to covering as many films as possible in 2017 and in exciting news we are also launching a brand new website and phone app, so keep an eye out for that. Thanks again for your continued support this year, next year is going to be a big one.